On Life, love and Politics

"Random musings about Life, love and Politics. Just my open diary on the events going on in the world as I see it."

African Cup of Nations :Togo driver killed after Angolan rebel attack January 8, 2010

Filed under: Crime,Society/Societe,Sports — kikenileda @ 3:43 PM

Unknown assailants have opened fire on the Togo national team bus ahead of the African Cup of Nations in Angola, killing the driver and wounding four others, including two players.

FOOTBALL Togo national team - 0 

 

"The Angolan driver was killed on the spot," said a Togolese sports ministry spokesman in Lome.

The attack happened in the Angolan enclave of Cabinda, where a separatist group has waged a three-decade long war against the government, he said.

The wounded included two players and two medics, he said.

Some of those wounded would have to be evacuated for treatment, the spokesman said, but gave no further details of their identity or the extent of their injuries.

Sky Sports reported, however, that goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale and defender Serge Akakpo were among the injured, with Obilale still in a serious condition.

Obilale, 25, is on the books of French lower-league side GSI Pontivi while the 22-year-old Akakpo, formerly of Auxerre, now plays for Romanian top-flight club FC Vaslui.

The Angolan minister in charge of affairs in Cabinda, Antonio Bento Bembe, called the attack an act of terrorism.

Cabinda is an oil producing region that has been the target of attacks in the past by a separatist group called FLEC.

However, Bento Bembe denied the attack on the squad had been done by FLEC rebels.

"FLEC no long exists, the attack comes from certain individuals who want to cause problems for us," he said.

The attack, which took place just two days before the start of the tournament, could overshadow the pan-continental tournament that was expected to have much of Africa glued to television and radio sets for the next three weeks.

Togo striker Thomas Dossevi told L'Equipe's website he no longer felt like playing in the tournament.

"We have not yet been thinking about possible moves but it is true that nobody wants to play", Dossevi said.

"We are not able to. My first concern is about the injured people's health because there was a lot of blood on the floor. For the moment we don't have much news, they have just been transported to hospitals.

"We were shot at despite being escorted by two police buses."

"If we can boycott the African Cup of Nations we will do it," Grenoble and Togo midfielder Alaixys Romao told Infosport.

"If we can cancel all the matches, why not? Right now all we want to do is go home."

Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor was uninjured after the attack in Angola, the Premier League club said on their website.

City said club officials had spoken with Adebayor and that he was unharmed, though shaken by the events.

Aston Villa midfielder Moustapha Salifou was also reported to have been unhurt.

Togo were due to play Ghana in a Group B tie on Monday January 11.

——————————————————————————————————————–

The tournament has barely began and some knobjobs have already started spoiling it for us. This is

beyond sad and pathetic; our prayers to the family involved. On the other hand, whose bright idea was it to travel by bus throught this area and what is the process of selection for chosing the location of the tournament? 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s