Damage from the inferno is estimated at over FCFA 70 million.
A 10-room building hosting the Government Integrated Health Centre in
Kombone Mission, Mbonge Sub-Division (Meme), was recently damaged by
fire. According to the Chief of Post of the health centre, Mrs. Siewe
Juliana, the damage caused by the fire disaster included 24 iron beds
for adults, 15 for new-born babies, laboratory equipment, mattresses,
scales for weighing pregnant women and new-born babies, the pharmacies
as well as drugs. The structure itself, which is estimated at over CFA
7 million was also damaged.
Eye witnesses told CAMNEW said the fire started at about 6.30 p.m.
caused by a spark from a gas fridge. All attempts by the villagers to
put out the flame failed and nothing was removed from the health
centre. Everything that was inside the health centre was left in a
The Mbonge Mayor, Andrew Otte Mofa visited the site and asked that the
Chief of Post should send the immediate needs of the centre to his
office. This incident, added to the poor state of roads, has caused
pregnant women to deliver locally at home.
Andrew Otte said while the council will be helping the people out, the
matter will be reported to the appropriate quarters for immediate
measures to reconstruct a new health unit. No loss of human life was
recorded. The few women present at the health centre successfully
escaped with their children.